Monday, January 09, 2006

Aren't You Cold?


The answer is "No. I am fine, thanks". The question is probably the single most frequently heard phrase I hear. When I meet a new Estonian, which is usually every time I go somewhere, I am asked the same two questions: "What are you doing here?", and "Aren't You Cold". You might think that they are perhaps being funny because I am American and not used to the "frozen tundra" that is Estonia....at least this is what we're led to believe. This, however, is not so. I am asked this because I wear a small, blue, gortex jacket (it's now lined with a green hoodie). To the untrained eye, or those unfamiliar with such synthetic fibers as gortex, I suppose it looks like I am wearing nothing more than a windbreaker. Gortex, however, is a very well insulating and warm fabric designed to be worn in extremely cold places...i.e Estonia.


Nevertheless, should I meet someone on the street, or thereafter while dressing to go outside, I am inevitably querried on the matter of my coat. After I explain that I am not cold and infact quite comfortable, the following response is of three varieties: 1. I must be lying, but who would lie about coats....2. Something to the effect of "Ok..." (as in...well you've been properly warned, it's your own fault if you die of frostbite)...3. You must be insane.

Needless to say, many of my Estonian friends think I'm somewhat soft in the head. I have a few that continue to pursue the issue by asking me what I am going to do when it is -20C outside (I think this is about -2F). At an attempt to appease the masses, I have lined my coat with a green "hoodie"...this has failed. Estonians refuse to believe that my outerwear is sufficient for this climate. Honestly, I am beginning to question the validity of their concern. It is now well into January and still around 25F. February is rumored to be the coldest month, however average temperatures according to online sources say it will be between 20-30F....closer to 30. Between my other American friends and I, this ubiquitous question has become somewhat of a joke.

The crowning moment of this charade so far occured at a gathering I went to at a small cellar-pub in the Old Town. One of my American friends had just had an opening at an art gallery. She designs and creates amazing jewlery. A few evenings later, five of us gathered to celbrate her success again as well as bid farewell to another friend moving to Berlin. Now, you have to understand that upon entering any establishment where you might spend some time sitting around, one must relinquish their coat at the door. You then recieve a stub to claim it upon your departure (I will write a future blog about the tribulations of this endeavor). This being said, at the coat check of this pub I was refused service. I had removed my coat and hoodie and was holding it out to the coat-checker and he told me not to give it to him. Apparently my outwear is not even suitable enough to be recognized as sufficient for coat checking. Like a scarf, shawl, wrap, or sweater, I was forced to hold onto my jacket all night. At least I didn't have to fight to get it back at the end of the evening (again see future blog when we discuss the coatcheck).

Currently, I refuse to give into peer pressure and abide by social conventions concerning winter attire. I plan to defy the supposedly horrible Estonian winter and continue donning my coat and hoodie. Perhaps I'll even start a new fashion trend...perhaps not. Undoubtably, I will continue to remain "that wierd American boy who says he isn't cold".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home