Thursday, April 20, 2006

I had a bad weekend...

Today I'm going to try and show you the other side of my adventure. Though Estonia is wonderful, and Spring (Kevad) has finally arrived, life, at times, can still be difficult. Last weekend (april 14-16) was bad. My shakras were out of sync, my karma had gone awry, my luck was shot.

One of the most challenging things about living in Estonia is that simple, everyday tasks suddenly become monumental affairs. As an example, I decided that I wanted to print out two of my new compositions for choir, photocopy them and then get them bound to look professional. In the US, I could print at home, and do the rest at Kinkos in about half an hour. Not so in Estonia. I do not have a printer here, only one person I know does. I thought I would go to the music academy. The national music academy of estonia could surely help me. After asking around for about an hour, I discovred that no one at the school had the software capability to even read my music files, and because I am not technically a student, I can't use their printers anyway. I ended up loading the program onto my friends computer and she printed out my material (1.5 days). Next, there is a print-copy place very close to my apartment. It's quite large and professional looking...kind of like a Kinkos. Alas, the woman helping me did not speak enough english, nor I enough estonian to explain to her what I wanted. She ended up getting frustrated with me. I even brought an example of exactly what I wanted done. When there is a language barrier, sometimes there is also disintrest. Two days latter, I tried my luck at another place. Luckily the woman spoke better english and was willing to help. I did not get exactly what I was looking for though. My pieces now look like a sciene-fair report, but at least they're printed and bound.

So my weekend:
Friday 10am: Arrive at the Music Academy to see that its closed (I've learned that for the academy, when there is a holiday close by, you never know what the school hours will be)
10:15am: Go to Kaubamajja (department store) in search of a cable to connect my computer to my television so that I can host a movie night...they suggest I try another place, but sell me a cable that "should work".
10:30am: Arrive at new store...closed. Their larger branch is open though>
10:45am: Go to coffee shop to waste a little time on computer. Internet doesn't work
11:30am: Get internet working and find location for larger branch store.
12:00pm: Lunch Date. They have a fish entree and thus their breath smells of fish for rest of encounter
2:30pm: Arrive at larger branch store with fish-breath date. We had to take a 20minute buss ride to get there.
3:15pm: 4 electronics stores and 3 cables latter, I depart for home to try my luck at connecting the computer to TV.
4:oopm: In frustration, call John to come over and help. We can't get it to work.
4:45pm: John and I decided to get food in Old Town. I will go back to Kaubamajja to try one more thing
5:15pm: Run into "the ex" on the street. Barely recieve recognition of my existence...feel like poo. Reach Kaubamajja, buy 4th cord.
6:00pm: Have tried everything possible and nothing works. Out a bunch of money. Cancell movie night. Go to Trudees to be consoled.

Saturday:
12:00pm: At insistence of friend, we go to a differnt mall in search of the correct cables for movie night. Nothing works.
1:30pm-2:30pm: Trying to make alternate plans for evening. Decided to host a small party before going out to go dancing
2:30-7:oopm: About 500 plans evolve and deteriorate. Decide that I'm just staying home alone.
7:15pm: Accidently shave off half of my left eyebrow, while cutting my own hair.8:00pm: Get invited to watch movies at a friends apartment. The return of movie night! His computer connects quite well and easily to his TV.

Sunday:
12:30pm: Decide to go with friends to Estonian Open Air Museum.
1:05pm: Missed the only bus to the museum. Next one comes in 2.5hrs.
1:40pm: Make my way by alternate trolley route to pick up friends and continue on our way.
2:oopm: At the stop for the museum, Falck (transportation and other minor security officials in Estonia) pulls up in a big red van, and about 6 officers storm our car. Before I have time to get my "safety-ticket" out and punch it, I get taken by one of the officers, a particularly scowling and brudish woman named "Svetlana".
2:00-2:10pm: I am questioned extensivaley by Falck in the back of their red van.
2:11pm: The van starts to drive away with me still inside. Am I going to jail! The van stops.
2:15pm: I am finally released with a 120kr fine (played the stupid foreigner bit very well) that I can pay online when I get home.
2:35pm: Open Air Museum. End of the story

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home